[arch-general] man pages and utf8

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 15:46:41 EST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 2:25 PM, Grigorios Bouzakis <grbzks at gmail.com> wrote:
> Regarding the discussion going on in arch-dev-public about changes in
> man and utf8 compliance.
> As far as i remember Roman's feature request [1] wasnt even mentioned.
> At least not recently. Are there any thoughts of replacing man with
> man-db? Or the recent chamges in man and groff make this FR invalid?
>
> [1]http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9130

Of course there are thoughts on it. I was the one that asked him to
open the feature request in the first place.

The utf8 fix was painfully simple, so it was put in place. Replacing
man with man-db is not as simple, so wasn't the first choice here. As
always, this was a "scratch an itch" thing - man pages in _my_ locale
acted goofy, so I fixed it.

Apparently, using man-db fixes about 5 other bug reports we have
regarding cyrillic characters, so this will most likely get done, but
in all honesty, it's not my top priority and I'm not even the 'man'
maintainer. I simply fixed some breakage.