[arch-general] /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/resolc.conf.tail

timetrap timetrap at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 11:05:54 EDT 2008

Hi, this is my first message to arch-general.

I have been helping a user on the forums who needs multiple search domains
in his /etc/resolv.conf file.

His original question was this:

"Our DHCP isolates clients to a separate subnet than the servers. As such,
unless you fully qualify the server name, you can't find the server. A work
around is to put the IP in the hosts file, but there are just too many
servers to do that with. Another option is to add the search domain(s) in
the to the end of the search line in resolv.conf, however that file is
re-written by dhcpcd, so changes are quickly lost.

Is there a way to add on search domains to what DHCP hands your system?"

I have done some research and found that the BSDs have a particularly nice
solution to this;  /etc/resolv.conf.tail

Basically, it does this:

#!/bin/bash

if [ -f /etc/resolv.conf.tail ]; then
   cat /etc/resolv.conf.tail >> /etc/resolv.conf
fi

I am still new to arch, and I don't know who exactly deals with this portion
of the distro. Is this something that can be made standard? It seems like a
very simple fix. Very useful too.

Here is the forum posting:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=388345#p388345

--timetrap