[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Multilib on Archlinux x86_64

Alessio Bolognino themolok.ml at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 18:15:11 EDT 2008

On Tue 2008-07-08 23:38, RedShift wrote:
> Thomas Bächler wrote:
> [...]
>> Now, again, you gave me a list of ideological reasons not to do it, but
>> where exactly is the point where this damages your "pure" system
>> technically?
>
> It's about the technical purity. It's this that makes us different
> from the other distro's. Otherwise we're just on the road to the next
> ubuntu. And if you really want 32 bit stuff running on x86-64, just
> use a 32 bit chroot and don't bother with the multilib stuff.

Well, I see a lot of lib32-* packages in the [community] repo, this
means people do want this stuff; at the same time, lib32 packages kind
of suck (just read a PKGBUILD to find out why).
Arch always provided closed-source software too, so there is no such
"purity" to maintain.

Thomas proposed to create an ad-hoc repo, so the *-32bit won't even
pollute the official repos, I don't see how cleaner this could be; If
you don't enable it, then it won't affect your system at all.

P.s.
There should be a Godwin's-like Law for the phrase "we are on the road
to Ubuntu"...

--
Alessio (molok) Bolognino

Please send personal email to themolok at gmail.com

Public Key http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFE0270FB
GPG Key ID = 1024D / FE0270FB 2007-04-11
Key Fingerprint = 9AF8 9011 F271 450D 59CF  2D7D 96C9 8F2A FE02 70FB