[arch-general] [SPAM] [arch-dev-public] two patches for rc.d/network

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 16:27:42 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 5:18 AM, James Rayner <iphitus at iphitus.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 8:12 PM, RedShift <redshift at pandora.be> wrote:
>> James Rayner wrote:
>>>
>>> 1)  0001-add-some-useful-error-messages-to-wireless-code.patch
>>> Makes the wireless code in rc.d/network output some useful errors and
>>> a tad more robust, rather than failing and giving no useful error at
>>> all.
>>>
>>> Not tested yet, I don't have an insecure or WEP network to try it on,
>>> and the family won't be impressed if I start messing with dd-wrt. I'll
>>> try tomorrow morning when they're sleeping.
>>>
>>> 2) 0002-Added-connection-state-info-to-rc.d-network.patch
>>> Makes rc.d/network create a file for an interface if it manages to
>>> connect. Useful for scripts.
>>> Also needs the directory /var/run/network/interfaces/ created in the
>>> initscripts PKGBUILD.
>>
>> Scripts should use ifconfig or other networking tools that directly read
>> from the kernel's configuration for network interface information. What if a
>> user manually modifies his configuration without using the initscripts? Or
>> does some advanced networking configuration in rc.local? The information in
>> "/var/run/network" will not be correct.
>>
>> I'm going to be blunt, it's a stupid idea.
>
> I'm fine with that, and sort of expected it. It's something I've
> lazily used locally for a little, so I thought I might as well push it
> upstream.
>
> And the other patch? I don't see any reason that shouldn't be merged.

Yeah I'm going to look at the error message patch right now and merge
it and all that. Thanks, and sorry for the delay.

For the record, not everyone has full commit access to all of these.
The idea is to have someone in charge of the official repo. As it is
git, anyone can always host their own tree and make changes so the
project owners can pull in patches as they see fit.