[arch-general] Firefox PGO builds

Emmanuel Benisty benisty.e at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 13:09:50 EST 2008

Hi Arch-General,

Further to the /. discussion about PGO Firefox builds [ http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/02/27/2049258 ], I decided to give it a try out of curiosity. I just simply followed the instructions of Mozilla website about PGO builds [ http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Building_with_Profile-Guided_Optimization  ] using an up-to-date CVS tree. So I just have few questions about this:

- Is Arch planning to provide PGO builds once FF3 is released ?
- Did anyone try to build FF3 wih PGO ? If yes, how did you manage to
  build it as user ? Using the 'default process' will require root
privilege otherwise it will fail because of a simple permission problem.

(firefox-bin:8960): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Unable to create ~/.gnome2 directory: Permission denied
Could not create per-user gnome configuration directory `/root/.gnome2/': Permission denied
make: *** [profiledbuild] Error 1
==> ERROR: Build Failed.
    Aborting...

To launch FF between the 2 builds, I used the simple script of the
mozilla doc (Cf. link above):

#!/bin/sh
 export NO_EM_RESTART=1
 mkdir $OBJDIR/_profileprofile
 $OBJDIR/dist/bin/firefox -no-remote -profile $OBJDIR/_profileprofile

As root, everything is working as expected. The point is that running FF (to 'build' the profile) as root is really something that I would like to avoid for obvious reasons.

Thanks a lot in advance for any suggestion/advice.