[arch-general] Kernel ext2 driver

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sat Mar 1 20:51:04 EST 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 22:42 +0100, Peter Feuerer wrote:
> Anyway, my question was not about finding a way to replace the initrd.
> asked if it would be possible to add ext2 into the standard kernel's
> config of archlinux again. Through many ppl use ext2 anyway, e.g. for
> their /boot partition. And the driver is not that big (the module is
> 74k). I do understand, you don't want to have every little driver in
> the
> kernel, but come on, ext2 is a very common filesystem...

Ext2 is a dead filesystem and has been replaced by ext3. We don't have
use for any filesystem in our kernel, as our kernel doesn't need any
filesystem driver to boot.
Adding ext2 as static configuration option will bring up the next
question: "I don't want to use initcpio, I want to have <insert random
filesystem> built in the kernel".