[arch-general] Kernel ext2 driver

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sun Mar 2 07:41:46 EST 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 20:50 -0600, Dan McGee wrote:

> Your entire rest of statement was valid, but why on earth did you make
> a claim like this? I have to speak up and say something here. ext2 is
> nowhere near dead. I use it on my /boot partition on every Linux
> install, and every filesystem on my Eee is currently ext2. Hardly
> dead- unless "stable as hell" = dead.

Ext2 is stable as hell, so is ext3. The point is that nowadays almost
nobody wants to use a filesystem without journal, that's why I consider
it dead. If journalling wasn't important (and if I didn't need filesizes
bigger than 2 or 4GB), then FAT32 wouldn't be a dead filesystem either.
Ext3 is basically just Ext2 with an added journal, so that's why Ext2 is
still developed and supported.