[arch-general] Kernel ext2 driver

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sun Mar 2 08:38:42 EST 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-02 at 14:11 +0100, Marc Deop i Argemí wrote:
> On Sunday 02 March 2008, Jan de Groot wrote:
> > then FAT32 wouldn't be a dead filesystem either.
>
> Well, in my experience almost every USB stick or newly buyed hard disk comes
> formated on FAT32. I don't wanna get into why is that, but it's just the way
> it is.
>
> By the way, I know many people that having a perfectly stable systen with a
> UPS doesn't want to use journaling.

External harddisks and USB sticks come preformatted with FAT32 because
NTFS isn't compatible with Mac OS X. FAT32 is the only choice for these
vendors if they want cross-compatibility.
When you install Windows on a >32GB partition, the setup doesn't allow
you to format FAT32, only NTFS. Reasoning behind this is that you get
inefficient cluster sizes on FAT32 then, and scandisk operations at
bootup take ages to complete with many errors due to a missing journal.