[arch-general] Kernel ext2 driver

Keith grndrush at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 23:33:05 EST 2008

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 at 13:41:46 +0100, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net>
wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 20:50 -0600, Dan McGee wrote:

> > Your entire rest of statement was valid, but why on earth did you make
> > a claim like this? I have to speak up and say something here. ext2 is
> > nowhere near dead. I use it on my /boot partition on every Linux
> > install, and every filesystem on my Eee is currently ext2. Hardly
> > dead- unless "stable as hell" = dead.
>

> Ext2 is stable as hell, so is ext3. The point is that nowadays almost nobody wants to use a filesystem without journal, that's why I consider it dead. If journalling wasn't important (and if I didn't need filesizes bigger than 2 or 4GB), then FAT32 wouldn't be a dead filesystem either. Ext3 is basically just Ext2 with an added journal, so that's why Ext2 is still developed and supported.

???

First off, FAT32 is a native Linux filesystem??? AND it's dead??? I haven't used it in, maybe, years, but I do have one box for my printers/scanners with only Win98 or WinXP drivers. It would be nice to know I COULD dual-boot it and access the FAT32 partition(s), at least. Thought that's why it was there?

I *never* use ext3, for anything. I've used ReiserFS, JFS, XFS. They all have advantages in particular situations. Ext3 seems to me a 'catch-all' not optimized (and, thus, NON-optimal) for any situation.

However, for ALL my installs, I have a separate /boot partition - and it's ALWAYS ext2. ALWAYS. I guess I'm "almost nobody" - but who needs a journaling FS for /boot? As my /boot is generally in the 32-64MB range, the journal would take up virtually the entire FS (obviously, meaning I'd need a larger /boot partition, or else needlessly complicate the /boot partition creation; it's brainless as it is now). Last time I checked, /boot has no need (nor will it at ANY POINT in the forseeable future) for 2GB+ files or filesystems.

I agree completely with Dan here. I'm FAR from a pro on Linux, but why this is even an issue of contention is going over my head...this all seems pretty simple, and pretty obvious, even to ME; pretty simply = ext2. KISS, right?

Sincerely, Keith