[arch-general] Boot sequence stops at modules (rc.sysinit)

Stephen Wilkinson sw8511 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 12:47:46 EST 2008

Thank you all for your replies.
I may have found the problem, although I'm not sure because I ended up
re-installing: tired of using live CDs and rebooting to see if my changes
had any effect on the problem, I decided to do an ftp re-installation... but
when I created my network connection, I kept getting transmission errors
(code 0x90 reported in one of the virtual consoles, lots of TX overruns
reported by ifconfig and in /proc/net/dev). That seemed odd as the hardware
was working perfectly during the last upgrade... in the end I had to switch
off my router and computer for those errors to disappear and to get a
connection working.
So I wonder if after the modules loaded, the network connection could not be
brought up and caused everything else to fail. I'll never know as I wasn't
able to test it...

Thanks again for your helpful suggestions.
Steve