[arch-general] xf86-video-i810 obsolete?

Scott Horowitz stonecrest at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 11:52:20 EST 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 9:12 AM, Marc Deop i Argemí <damnshock at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thursday 06 March 2008, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> > After tracking down an issue I was having, I finally realized the cause
> > was that I was using an outdated version of my X video driver.  It looks
> > like xf86-video-i810 (unbeknownst to me) has been renamed to
> > xf86-video-intel, and that new development is continuing there.
> >
> > If that's the case, then shouldn't we decommission the xf86-video-i810
> > package?  Is there any reason to keep it around?
> >
> > DR
>
> Well, I don't use the xf86-video-intel because it's buggier to me than
> i810
> is. Anyway, the most important reason to keep using i810 is that I can get
> my
> laptop to suspend to RAM which i can't with the intel one.
>
> Please, do not remove the package.

Additionally, there were a number of machines that didn't work at all with
the -intel driver. Mine was one of those, although it now seems to be
working fine. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to include a message
upon install/update of the i810 driver that makes people aware of the
current state of the two drivers.

Scott