[arch-general] Apple keyboard broken in [testing]

bardo ilbardo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 10:28:42 EDT 2008

Hi all.
I'm experiencing a strange problem with my Apple aluminium keyboard: a
few days ago the F1-F4 keys stopped working, and the ` and < keys were
swapped (meaning: pressing one of the keys gives the output of the
other). If I changed my layout the same two keys were swapped, even
though they now mapped other carachters, so it should be a scancode
problem. This happens in both X and in console, the keyboard was
working fine before and it works fine if plugged to any other machine.
Hard to say which package broke the whole thing, since it happened
after a 600MB upgrade, but I suspect the usual udev...

Trying to fix the problem I plugged another usb keyboard to the same
port, but everything was ok, so I began playing with showkey and xev.
Result: the Apple keyboard returns different scancodes and keycodes
from the other one. The same kayboard is broken on the two Arch
machines I own, which both run testing, and I was able to find a user
on IRC with the very same keyboard working outside of testing.
Downgrading xorg-server did not work (as I expected, since the console
is broken, too) and I'm starting to run out of ideas. Any help will be
greatly appreciated.

Corrado