[arch-general] signoff kernel26-2.6.24.3-6

Arvid Ephraim Picciani aep at ibcsolutions.de
Tue Mar 25 16:41:25 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 25 March 2008 20:32:01 Grigorios Bouzakis wrote:
> Well actually the Arch Way has change a lot recently. Wiki says it was
> done in order to be "more formal and understandable" but i feel quite
> the opposite.
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?title=The_Arch_Way&diff=32398&oldid=323
>00
>
> Greg
indeed. thanks alot for that link.
That new version is a lot less technical, but i just figured its a lot closer
to judds version: http://phraktured.net/arch-way.html
In fact his version of the arch way doesn't address many of the issues we are
facing. It's way to fuzzy to make policies out of it.

You can only _assume_ that with "Arch is not primarily concerned about the
user." he means something like "rtfm or stfu", but he never says exactly
that.
He neither says that init script dependencies are rediculous  and everyone
suggesting that should be shot directly. he just says "It is better to be
technically elegant with a higher learning curve, than to be easy to use, and
technically crap.", and we _assume_ that he was refering to shooting.
He _doesn't_ address downstream patching in any way.

I'd say that "the arch way" as i know it (and propably most of you old
timers), was created out of thin air, or from the fact that arch _used_ to be
like that. It was a common assumption that archlinux will continue it
forever, but you can't blame the devs for not following policies if there are
none.

I only have one simple demand: Position yourself. I want you to have a (public
available) policy that either does support or disapprove the points glen
(RedShift) brought up in his mail. Becouse i believe this not beeing clearly
written down IS the issue. If you have such a page on archlinux.org you can
always tell the loosing side of that discussion to stfu and go use a
different distro, but you have to do it! You can't get both the newbies and
the professional users. That doesn't fit.

It's inconvenient to draw sharp lines, becouse you seperate people.
And it's convenient, becouse you seperate people.