[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] ArchISO FTP Installer - Testers Needed

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 13:19:19 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 26. März 2008 17:10:04 schrieb Aaron Griffin:
>

> > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Rickard Eriksson
>  >
>  > <rickard.eriksson at gigabit.nu> wrote:
>  > > First of all I'd like to say nice project.
>  > >
>  > >  And heres my first feedback:
>  > >  When I tried booting it up on my LG A1 (No internal CD-Rom) it kernel
>  > >  paniced on me saying: Couldn't find CD-Rom.
>  >
>  > Ah, interesting.
>  >
>  > Simo, I forget, are we still loading usb and firewire hooks before
>  > scanning for the cdrom? The obvious issue here is that the right
>  > modules weren't loaded for this external cdrom.
>
>  Maybe this is grub-related. Afaik tpowa switch back from grub to syslinux
>  because grub could not boot from certain devices.

The kernel would never get loaded if this was a grub issue- I think
Aaron is right in that we don't have all the necessary drivers in our
initrd, so the driver for his external CD drive wasn't loaded.

Simo, I assume this is a sample FTP installer by its name. I did
notice some things when attempting to run through a "install from CD"
type run, and that is that mount requires the user to be root (which
was the case on the archboot-based installer, but the push here seems
to be to use 'arch' as the user), and that the location of the
packages is hardcoded to a specific mountpoint and directory. Just
things to keep in mind later on.

-Dan