[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] ArchISO FTP Installer - Testers Needed

Simo Leone simo at archlinux.org
Wed Mar 26 18:12:12 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 03:38:01PM +0200, Grigorios Bouzakis wrote:

> WOW thanks!
> I had always been wondering how an Archlinux live CD would look and
> function, and now its the time to find out.
> May ask what are the requirements for it? Especially RAM usage.
> I intend to try it at some point later today or tomorrow afternoon
> and will post feedback.

My testing methods here are far from perfect, but the ftp install image
boots to a shell with as little as 22mb of ram. This was tested in qemu
by decreasing the emulated RAM 1mb at a time and seeing if it ran out of
memory during the bootup sequence.

Of course, as soon as you start running things they need memory as well,
but this gives you a good idea of the "bare minimum" value.

Hope that answers your question :)

-S