[arch-general] ArchISO FTP Installer - Testers Needed

Gerhard Brauer gerhard.brauer at web.de
Wed Mar 26 21:11:54 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 03:53:52AM -0500, Simo Leone wrote:
> Hey everyone,

I've tested it on varios machines, Scenic, Thinkpad, IBMs, VirtualBox

> **I need feedback on the following regarding ISO bootup**
> - Did the grub loader work as expected?
Yes

> - Did it pick up and load the module for your network hardware?
Yes, all ethernet cards i use
Also madwifi, usable with wpa_supplicant

> - Did it pick up and load the modules for your disk controllers?
Yes

> - Any kernel panics, freezes, that sort of ugly stuff.
No, nothing during boot or work on console.

> Please keep in mind that this is not intended to be production quality
> at this point, and it's a very early version, so there are still a lot
> of sharp edges that need to be smoothed out.

What i've noticed:
- km is missing to select other keyboard layout
- using the installer i never could mount the cd when saying:
  Select packages->Mount the cdrom...->Available CD drives
  My cdroms are shown (sr0: Vendor|Model but trying to select gives:
  failed to mount /dev/sr0
  Nothing about this in any log, dmesg
- Installer doesn't have any output on an tty for logging
- Installer log in /var ??

But maybe these are things which are generally "broken" in this state.
If you mostly interested in grub/kernel then i would say: OK

I've also done a quick test in a VM with RAM set to 64MB. No problem
booting the kernel and start the installer.

> -Simo

Regards
	Gerhard

--
Puenktlich zur Diskussion um den Bundes-Trojaner
erscheint auch das passende Betriebssystem dazu.