[arch-general] ClamAV should be update to 0.93

pyther pyther at pyther.net
Sun May 4 19:10:31 EDT 2008

> * Attila <attila at invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On Sonntag, 4. Mai 2008 12:47 Tino Reichardt wrote:
>>
>> > If they don't have the time to be a maintainer for some package, they
>> > shouldn't be the maintainer of it!
>>
>> For me this is definitely too hard. And unfair because archlinux is a
>> distribution (as a lot of other too) which is managed by private individual
>> for private individual.
>>
>> The devs of archlinux gives us with abs a perfect and easy understandable way
>> to make in the most cases updates at the time we wants it. Irony on: That is
>> why other distros with another package magagment needs fulltime
>> maintaining.-)
>>
>> And to the argument of that clamav is a "security update": This is only
>> relevant for servers which have windows clients and in this case, sorry, this
>> is at first the job of the admin of the server and "opps" this be you and not
>> the maintainer of a package.
>
> It isn't to hard. Its just the plain truth.
>
> If the maintainer hasn't the time, he should give the package to someone
> else, which has the time.
>

> PS: I am not an admin of some important server which needs an update ;)
>

> --
> regards, TR

What if there are no other devs/maintainer? Maintainers have to be trusted, have to prove that they know what their
doing etc...

I wouldn't want someone random person from the community becoming a maintainer for a package or two, because you don't
know what he or she knows. I wouldn't want to install a pkg that wipes out my whole /usr dir by mistake.

Also if security is a big concern arch isn't probably the best distro to be using.