[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] ATTN: Kernel maintainers (tpowa, brain0): libcap

Michal Soltys soltys at ziu.info
Mon May 5 13:34:18 EDT 2008

Travis Willard wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I just realized that, for some squirrely reason, I am currently
> "maintaining" libcap.  I have no freakin' clue what libcap even is.  I
> just got a flag-out-of-date version asking if we should update it to
> libcap2, which seems reasonable, as it's nice and shiny-new.  Looking
> around, however, libcap seems tied to kernel releases, so maybe it'd
> make more sense for someone more in-the-know with kernel.org stuff to
> take it on?

Version 2.x works pretty fine - I've been using it for a while, but you
will need some simple and straightforward patches for e.g. samba (it
assumes ancient lack of header declarations, should be fixed in .29) and
vsftpd (doesn't look for 2.x at all, but otherwise compiles and works
perfectly fine). From other notable things - ntpd requires linking to
libcap, if you want to run it with privilege separation.

> Basically, if someone out there knows WTF libcap is for, and how to
> test, etc., then let me know and you can grab it.

In short - it's overbloated suid ;)

http://www.friedhoff.org/posixfilecaps.html

Sorry for crossposting, but I though I'd be good to mention samba /
vsftpd stuff.

Cheers