[arch-general] Compiling my own kernel: IDE, SATA...

Attila attila at invalid.invalid
Thu May 8 14:46:57 EDT 2008

On Mittwoch, 7. Mai 2008 19:13 Carotinho wrote:

> The currently running system, with the Arch-supplied 2.6.24 kernel, has the
> disk devices all mapped to a /dev/sd* scheme, even if 3 are IDE and another
> is SATA.

At first sorry that i don't answer your question and gives you instead a hint.

I use for a very long time labels for my partitions and i can say that this is
a very good method to avoid problems in such cases instead there be some
others too.

Example from my fstab:
LABEL=archroot    /                 jfs  defaults,relatime        1 1
LABEL=archboot    /boot             ext2 defaults,relatime        1 2
LABEL=home        /home             jfs  defaults,relatime        0 2
LABEL=arch64boot  /mnt/arch64/boot  ext2 defaults,noauto,relatime 0 0
LABEL=arch64root  /mnt/arch64/root  jfs  defaults,noauto,relatime 0 0

For ext2 you can give the the label without the need of formating the partiton
(-L option in the most cases for mkfs.*) but for the other filesystems i
don't know this exactly.

Lately some distros start using UUID but i'm personaly not a fan of this
because they be "not so much readable". -)

See you, Attila