[arch-general] Postgres failure after system upgrade

Neil Darlow neil at darlow.co.uk
Thu May 15 02:00:31 EDT 2008

Hi,

richard terry wrote:
> I wonder if some kind soul could give me some help in tracking down the
> problem. I've tried looking at the below mentioned files and can't see
> anything wrong . Perhaps something got overwritten?

PostgreSQL requires a dump/restore for an upgrade from 8.2.x to 8.3.x.

This also entails saving a copy of pg_hba.conf and postgresql.conf and
merging any changes you have made into the new versions.

It is normal for the PostgreSQL server to refuse to start if it detects
that its database structure is outdated.

Regards,
Neil Darlow