[arch-general] troubles with Brother HL-2040

Ryan Sims rwsims at gmail.com
Thu May 15 15:42:46 EDT 2008

I just installed Arch on my print server at home; it had been running
another distro and chugging along happily.  It's got a Brother HL2040
attached to it via USB, and I use cups to share it around the network.

Well, I got the server is up and running so I followed the instruction
in the wiki[1]  for installing the printer.  Everything seems to have
gone ok, the printer was detected and installed correctly, hooray.
However, it doesn't print the test page (or anything else).  When I
ask it to print, the printer wakes up and starts spinning, thinks for
a couple seconds, and then goes back to sleep.

The cups logs seem to be clean, just some errors about DNSSD
registration, which doesn't seem related.  I'm working on trying
alternative drivers, but nothing has helped so far.  I know it's
worked before; my desk is covered in paper it's printed, so I'm just
doing something stupid.

Help?

--
Ryan W Sims