[arch-general] Anyway to tranlate installer?

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri May 16 02:02:43 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 12:48 AM, gan lu <rhythm.gan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 11:56 PM, gan lu <rhythm.gan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I hope I can, or I will report a bug for tracking, thanks.
> > >

> > Right now the installer isn't really ready for translations. I'm sure
> > it could be switched to gettext macros in the same way makepkg does
> > it, but it's just not done yet.
> >

> So I made a bug report [1], I hope this situation would be taken seriously
> by devs and improved quickly. I am making a list for i18n improvement for
> Archlinux, which is one of it.
>
> [1]:http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10425

It's a fact of open source software that things are only taken
seriously if the contributor to the project NEEDS/WANTS it. I don't
think i18n is a huge deal to any of our developers, so this won't come
up as a high priority for any of us.

That is not to say that i18n is *unimportant*. It most certainly is
not. But I know for a fact that it will get done much faster by
someone who actually cares about translations.

My suggestion: find someone willing to write a patch for the installer
who actually cares about i18n. If you expect the devs to do it
themselves, then it will get done, just not as quickly as you'd
expect, which may end up frustrating you.

The installer has a git repo here:
http://projects.archlinux.org/?p=installer.git;a=summary
Find someone to patch in gettext macros (see makepkg for a good
implementation), and it will get applied very quickly. Otherwise, we
have much more pressing matters to spend our time on (i.e. getting out
the next ISO)