[arch-general] Xorg fails to start: no screens found

slubman slubman.lists at slubman.info
Fri May 16 16:35:21 EDT 2008

On Friday 16 May 2008 22:18:37 Чинарев Василий wrote:
> Hello everyone :-)
>
> I installed Arch on VirtualBox and now am trying to make xorg work. What
> I did:
>
> pacman -S xorg
> pacman -S nvidia
> nvidia-xconfig
> startx
>
> But xorg fails with
>
> (II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  169.12  Thu Feb 14 17:55:38 PST 2008
> (II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
> (II) Primary Device is: PCI 00:02:0
> (EE) No devices detected.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
>
> Help! :-)

Your virtual machine doesn't access to your real graphic card !!

VirtualBox will show to your VM another graphic card. You'd better the vesa
driver for the VM graphic card.

# pacman -S xf86-video-vesa

in your XF86Config, change the device sectino to

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "vesa"
EndSection

You should have a working X server after that.

--
slubman
site: http://www.slubman.info/