[arch-general] top posting

Scott scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sun May 18 21:52:30 EDT 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 06:32:28PM -0700, Jon B wrote:
> --- Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/T/top-post.html
> >

> I'll be the weird one and admit that I find
> top-postings to be easier to read.  But just because I
> like all of you, I'll type way down here. :)

There's a few folks like that. Some folks have disabilities and comment,
on one list or another that it's much easier for them to top post.
Other times, it's the main guru of the list who top posts--sometimes
because they're using a blackberry, sometimes, because they're lazy.

However, as far as gurus go, I like ESR's comment on the asking
questions the smart way page.  (Assuming that comment is still there).
In talking about something or other he says Alan Cox can get away with
it.  You can't.  :)

Aside from laziness, I suspect that one other reason for it being so
common is that it is common in business--and even makes sense in many
contexts, as I said in my overly long post of a few days ago.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Angelus: I wanna torture you. I used to love it, and it's been
such a long time. I mean, the last time I tortured someone, they
didn't even *have* chainsaws.