[arch-general] top posting

Marc Deop i Argemí damnshock at gmail.com
Mon May 19 17:39:27 EDT 2008

On Thursday 15 May 2008 21:21:21 Xavier wrote:
> http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/T/top-post.html
>
> What about using a consistent style, at least for one given ML?
> arch-general is really painful to read sometimes.
>
> Thanks!

Well, as far as my research has lead me to, the answer is here: RFC 1855 -
Netiquette Guidelines

Quoted text:

    - If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
      summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
      enough text of the original to give a context.  This will make
      sure readers understand when they start to read your response.
      Since NetNews, especially, is proliferated by distributing the
      postings from one host to another, it is possible to see a
      response to a message before seeing the original.  Giving context
      helps everyone.  But do not include the entire original!

Notice the: "...at the top of the message..."

We might argue if it's a mail client's fault or user's but... shouldn't we
follow an existent standard?

Just my two cents...

Damnshock
--