[arch-general] Any way to decrypt hashes set by ssh HashKnownHosts?

eliott eliott at cactuswax.net
Tue May 20 21:46:47 EDT 2008

On 5/20/08, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Aaron Griffin schrieb:
>
> > On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 2:05 PM, David Rosenstrauch <darose at darose.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Problem is, though, since Arch recently turned on HashKnownHosts by
> default
> > > in ssh_config, those 2 lines in the known_hosts file are encrypted, and
> so I
> > > don't know which host machines that I've been ssh'ing into are affected
> by
> > > the problem.
> > >
> > I think the whole point is that they *are* one way hashes. The only
> > think I can think of is to find the algorithm they use (sha1?) and
> > hash the hostnames that you know, then compare.
> >

>  I didn't find out about this change until much later - and it pissed me
> off. For no apparent reason, we changed the default configuration of openssh
> at one point and now I have an obfuscated known_hosts file. I don't see any
> security impact in having the hosts unhashed.

Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
unhashed known_hosts *is* more unsecure.

If someone gets access to your account, they would get
a) your key
b) a list of hosts that the key is valid for

hey! great!

Compund this with the fact that many people use keys without a
passphrase (a bad practice), someone can 'harvest' known_host data,
and worm out to other hosts.. here is the kicker ... in a way that is
easily automated.

http://www.google.com/search?q=known_hosts+harvesting