[arch-general] Eclipse won't start any more

Maik Beckmann beckmann.maik at googlemail.com
Wed May 21 02:33:04 EDT 2008

Am Mittwoch 21 Mai 2008 00:26:29 schrieb Juergen Starek:
> Hello everybody,
>
> a few days ago, my Eclipse installation (which had worked fine for some
> months before that) stopped working. Eclipse will start, but only to the
> end of its initialization routine. The splash screen does not disappear.
>
> I realize this is no Eclipse support list, and hence will just point to
> my more detailed error description on Eclipse's newsgroups [1]. However,
> I'm out of ideas at the moment regarding possible causes for that error.
> So I'd like to ask here whether anyone thinks that any updates to Arch
> that appeared in the last three weeks or so might cause problems with
> Java programs in general, or more specifically with SWT. Perhaps someone
> even noticed the same problem?
>
> I'd be thankful for all hints.

I'm using eclipse on arch64 running the sun-jre every day (I hope this some
hope you'll get your problem sorted ^^)

Please download a fresh eclipse from eclipse.org.

What jre are you using?
Does it crash even if you start a new workspace?

If Eclipse crashes, it writes a log into the dir you started eclipse from.
Starting it via mouse click means $HOME is the this dir.  Please look into
the log file.

A problem I had was
  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.arch.general/15891/focus=15892
maybe this is your issue too.