[arch-general] Tool to stop and start services? (Don't Panic)

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Thu May 22 13:21:16 EDT 2008

On Thursday 22 May 2008 17:09, Travis Willard wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Nigel Henry
>
> <cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
> > On my Fedora installs there is a GUI for stopping and starting services,
> > and also the option of using chkconfig on the CLI. On my Debian installs,
> > I installed sysv-rc-conf, which runs on the CLI, and allows you to stop
> > and start services.
> >
> > Is there anything similar that I could use on my Archlinux install?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
>
> I can't recall any such tool offhand, though the discussion certainly
> has come up before.  What's wrong with /etc/rc.d/service stop and
> /etc/rc.d/service start?

Johannes also suggests this way, and I have no problems with it, but sometimes
it's just nice to have a list of running services, maybe just to see if there
is some service you don't need, and to be able to stop it.

A couple of suggestions on later posts have suggested packages available in
AUR. I'll have a look at these. I was sort of thinking of new users, that may
have been used to GUI stuff. A command on the CLI to bring up something using
dialog, whiptail, or ncurses would also work, as you get a GUI of sorts.

Also, sometimes it's not easy to know the name of a service. For example, you
want to stop the ntp service. Do you stop ntp, or ntpd, and with ssh. Is this
ssh, or sshd. I know you can try both, but a list of running services helps.

This is just a little academic question so please don't be offended.

All in all I'm very pleased with Archlinux (Don't Panic). I have a bunch of
distros installed, Fedora, Debian, Kubuntu, Slackware, but none of them boot
up as quick as my Archlinux install. Any suggestions as to what may be
different from my other installs, that causes Archlinux to boot up so
quickly?

Nigel.