[arch-general] Tool to stop and start services? (Don't Panic)

Attila attila at invalid.invalid
Thu May 22 14:15:39 EDT 2008

On Donnerstag, 22. Mai 2008 17:07 Nigel Henry wrote:

> On my Fedora installs there is a GUI for stopping and starting services, and
> also the option of using chkconfig on the CLI. On my Debian installs, I
> installed sysv-rc-conf, which runs on the CLI, and allows you to stop and
> start services.

I can understand your feelings because as i start using archlinux i search a
tool as chkconfig too but i recognized that such a tool is not really
necessary.

So why do i think this? The equipollent of "chkconfig --list | grep '3:on'" is
the DAEMONS array in the rc.conf and the equipollent of the status of the
running daemons ist the content of /var/run/daemons (kdm is not there but it
have a pid file).

The only thing what i miss is that "chkconfig --list" shows me the x(inet)
lines too but this is not so much necessary for archlinux from my view.

In my case i must say that the most what i have missed at the beginning has
more to do with myself and what i have used before than with archlinux.
Perhaps this helps you too.

See you, Attila