[arch-general] Tool to stop and start services? (Don't Panic)

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Fri May 23 14:47:47 EDT 2008

On Friday 23 May 2008 01:23, ndlarsen wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On my Fedora installs there is a GUI for stopping and starting services,
> > and also the option of using chkconfig on the CLI. On my Debian installs,
> > I installed sysv-rc-conf, which runs on the CLI, and allows you to stop
> > and start services.
> >
> > Is there anything similar that I could use on my Archlinux install?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> Have a look at http://aldc.ionline.dk/ I havn't really had any time
> lately to work on it due to job overload, however, I do intend to pick
> it up again. Strictly CLI, though. Feedback will be appreciated.
>
> Regards.

Hi Nicolas. Thanks for your aldc python programme. aldc list all shows all the
running, and stopped services. I've only tried stopping, and starting vsftpd,
while trying to ftp into the Archlinux machine from my FC2 install using
gftp. The vsftpd service stopped ok, and could no longer access the archlinux
machine using gftp. Then did aldc start vsftpd. gftp was still running, and
retrying on the FC2 machine, and soon the directory list turned up in gftp on
FC2.

Your python program seems to be fine. it would be nice if it were more
interactive, like the sysv-rc-conf program on Debian, but we can't have
everything, and I'm willing to work with this.

Thanks for your reply, and the program.

Nigel.