[arch-general] aufs with kernel 2.6.25

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Tue May 27 12:09:32 EDT 2008

Chris Bolton wrote:
> Michael Towers wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Is anyone else having problems with aufs and the new kernel
>> (2.6.25.4-1, i686)?
>>
>> Here it is a bit of a disaster - I mount it and that was the end of
>> the session, no message, complete system lock up, hard reset
>> necessary. Here is my simple test script:
>>
>> ################## run as root
>> #!/bin/sh
>>
>> mkdir -p aufsu
>> mkdir -p tfs/system
>> mkdir -p tfs/mods
>> mount -t aufs -o br:tfs/mods=rw:tfs/system=ro aufs aufsu
>> ##################
>>

> no problems here (luckily =P) but I've heard quite a few people on IRC
> say that .25 have ruined their system and such. maybe it should have
> stayed in testing a bit longer =P

I haven't had my system ruined.  I've only run into one problem:
autofs/automount wasn't working.  Apparently with the new kernel, it now
requires loading the "autofs4" module:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=372757

Loaded the module, restarted automount, problem solved.  Haven't noticed
any other problems.  Actually a rather smooth kernel upgrade, IMO.

DR