[arch-general] Kernel upgrades question, as can't revert to earlier kernel

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Wed May 28 17:35:46 EDT 2008

I've noticed for some time now that some distros are upgrading the current
running kernel, rather than installing a new kernel version, which if there
are problems with the new kernel, you could boot the earlier kernel, which
you know was working ok.

I'm currently updating my Don't Panic install, and there is a kernel update to
2.6.25.4-1 , and 21% done so far. Is there some way that this latest kernel
version can be installed as a new kernel, and leave the existing one alone?

I don't like this way of updating the kernel, as you have no way of booting to
the earlier one if the latest version is problematic.

26% done now.

Nigel.