[arch-general] Fwd: [arch-dev-public] pkgstats: first results

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 13:53:05 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 12:44 PM, w9ya <w9ya at qrparci.net> wrote:
> I am truly sorry if this annoys you enough to call discussing the history of
> earlier AUR stuff: "it's stupid", but it really does have bearing.right now.

We can talk about the past until we turn blue if you want, but it's
not going to help us. Have you ever heard the term "progressive
thinker" used to describe someone? Progressive. Forward motion. What
we have here is regressive thinking, and it's just dumb because it
gets us no where. If it's just idle talk, then post it in a blog entry
or a wiki page or something so people can read at their leisure. If
it's for the sake of argument, then it's "regressive".

I'm not trying to say your points are invalid. They're probably sound,
but I haven't seen enough rationale to know that. You don't influence
people to your ideas by saying "we used to do it this way!", you do it
by saying "this way is better because (a), (b), and (c)".

I'd just really like to see actual point/counterpoint here instead of
"this sucks because we never used to do it".

>> Rather than sitting here saying "We never used to have rules! Oh em
>> gee!", we can do two things: change the existing rules, or start a new
>> body of people who are ungoverned.
>
> Yes, **you** can change the rules. However you should seek to be sure that
> you are doing so for good reasons, not just 'a reason'.

No. Sorry. I don't have any impact on what the TUs do. The TUs are,
and always have been, fairly autonomous. This is by design. I cannot
change the rules without slamming some sort of iron fist down on them,
which I will not do.