[arch-general] Fifa: Flexible Installer Framework for Arch linux

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Mon Nov 10 17:59:34 EST 2008

Thought I would give you guys a little update...

Several things have been changed/refactored/re-thought out again
eg
 - phases are now just arrays listing the workers, not functions, it's
easier to override and it's cleaner.
 - exit codes of all phases/workers are tracked automagically which can
be useful for reporting at the end, simplifying flow control etc.
 - functions for logging and debugging added (long overdue  ;-)
 - ...

My TODO file has had a makeover and now contains the roadmap of where I
want to go with this. (See
http://github.com/Dieterbe/fifa/tree/master/TODO )
Basically:
- pre-alpha: (now): a few showstoppers remaining, but we're pretty close
to having a workable version of both an ftp-based and cdrom-based
installation.
- alpha: when ftp-based and cdrom-based installations "work" I would
like to get more input from other developers/community so I/we can fix
more bugs, refactor, iron everything out,... basically make everything
better.
   For this I would like to setup a bugtracker (or get a category on
some already existing bugtracker would be nice too *cough* ;-) ).  It's
in this phase that still a lot of refactoring and cleaning can be done.
- beta: get fifa on the (beta) installcd as an experimental, alternative
installer. -> more input from more people -> improve even more
- "release" -> someday, fifa might become so good it could become the
primary installer...

Obviously you guys are more familiar with the whole process of
developing for Arch.  This is just my limited view on it so I would be
glad to hear your input.

Code, readme,howto,... @ http://github.com/Dieterbe/fifa

Dieter