[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [signoff] device-mapper 1.02.29-1 & lvm2 2.02.43-1

Tim Gelter tgelter at gurulabs.com
Sun Nov 16 12:10:50 EST 2008

Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Dieter Plaetinck schrieb:
>> I'm a user, not a dev, running on i686.
>> I couldn't find a definition of a 'signoff', but I updated abs, built
>> the 2 new packages, they compiled fine, i installed them, rebooted my
>> system and everything came up fine (dm_crypt+lvm based system).
>> I also tested the basic commands (pvdisplay,lvdisplay) and even did an
>> lvextend and resize2fs on a volume. everything still works fine. (didn't
>> try making new/deleting LV/PV's etc though)
>> Does this count as a "signoff" ?
>
> The point of the signoff is not that you can build the package, but that
> the package provided in the repositories is working. If you can build
> the package, you still won't know if (for example) one of the
> executables inside the binary package is corrupted. Other than that,
> your tests are sufficient.
>
>> PS: Users cannot send to arch-dev-public at archlinux.org, so fwiw I cc'd
>> arch-general.
>
> Indeed they can't, you can always reply on arch-general if you feel the
> need to comment on a developer discussion.

I believe that all answers to this question have been given so hopefully
you don't mind if I hijack this thread...

Since we're in the middle of discussing LVM, I've got a request.
Not too long ago, I had my root partition "/" on an LVM physical volume.
It was actually pretty easy to set up and worked like a charm until I
created a snapshot of one of my other PVs. As soon as I did so, I could
no longer boot the system because the dm_snapshot kernel module was not
loaded. I was told by several people that I needed to add a "hook" for
it, but never did figure out how to do so.
It seems to me that if we are going to support booting from logical
volumes, we also need to make sure that users who do so are still able
to boot if they decide to take a snapshot of any logical volumes,
including booting from a snapshot of "/".
I'll be glad to help test and even work on the hook if anyone gives me
instructions detailing how to do so.
Thanks!
-Tim