[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Other things gleaned from package list statistics

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Mon Nov 24 11:55:44 EST 2008

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There are a few packages people have installed that we have killed
>> that show up really high on the list:
>>
>> liblbxutil-84.79 %
>> csup    -44.39 %
>> xorg-xsm-43.74 %
>>
>> It might be worth posting a news item saying these packages are
>> worthless on a modern-day Arch system (as long as you have a newer X)?
>> I know I had some of them installed.
>>

> Hmm, is there a more generic way to handle cases like this? -Qm can
> help us in these cases, but considering how much people use the AUR,
> we need to be careful.

Don't liblbxutil and xorg-xsm become orphans when the user upgrades to
that particular X version? I noticed I don't have these packages and I
don't even know why (I did clean up my orphans recently, like every good
user should)
I do have csup explicitly installed , because it used to be in the
base-devel group.  I guess that's where
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8242 - "Keep track of groups and allow
upgrading them with pacman -Syu" - comes in.