[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] RFC: crda PKBUILD

Sujith m.sujith at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 23:36:20 EST 2008

Thomas B,bd(Bchler wrote:
> Aaron Griffin schrieb:
> > Couldn't we set it as a dep of the wireless tools? That seems like it
> > would install for the right people then. Considering you want to shut
> > things off in the kernel, this will make some (most? no idea) wireless
> > non-functional without this, right? It seems an optdepend of kernel26
> > would be easy to miss

To set a new regulatory domain, 'iw' is required. 'iw' should be
added to core too.

> I think I remember that the wireless stack will fall back to a default
> (minimal) set of channels if crda is missing (which is not too different
> from the current behaviour).

That's right, WORLD regulatory domain would be chosen if CRDA is missing.
But it has a limited set of channels than what people were using so far,
so expect a rash of 'wireless not working' bugs. :)

The best method to accommodate the new regulatory infrastructure would be
to set the country code on bootup, with the user's choice stored in /etc/rc.conf.

Sujith
--
http://sujith-m.blogspot.com