[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] RFC: crda PKBUILD

Sujith m.sujith at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 07:58:08 EST 2008

Thomas B,bd(Bchler wrote:
> Sujith schrieb:
> >> I think I remember that the wireless stack will fall back to a default
> >> (minimal) set of channels if crda is missing (which is not too different
> >> from the current behaviour).
> >
> > That's right, WORLD regulatory domain would be chosen if CRDA is missing.
> > But it has a limited set of channels than what people were using so far,
> > so expect a rash of 'wireless not working' bugs. :)
>
> I think you could still set the domain via a cfg80211 module option or
> it would be determined automatically by some country code set in the
> EEPROM if possible. There's not too much documentation about this ...

Nope, no cfg80211 module option exists to choose the country code.
But you are correct, drivers _can_ hint CRDA of the country code programmed in the EEPROM,
but not all drivers have been converted to make use of this feature.
Another way to choose a regulatory domain is to just enforce what the AP advertises (802.11d).

This page pretty much covers all of this:
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Regulatory#Theregulatorydatabase

I have CC'd the main developer behind CRDA, he can probably advise on the best way a
distribution can incorporate all this.

Sujith
--
http://sujith-m.blogspot.com