[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Can we trust our mirrors?

Gerhard Brauer gerhard.brauer at web.de
Sun Nov 30 08:01:29 EST 2008

Am Sun, 30 Nov 2008 07:06:09 -0500
schrieb "Daenyth Blank" <daenyth+arch at gmail.com>:

> On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 06:56, solsTiCe d'Hiver
> <solstice.dhiver at gmail.com> wrote:
> > i like the original idea of pierre. i had the same one ;-)
>
> I agree. We can talk until we're blue in the face about the "ideal"
> way to do it, but it doesn't mean a thing if it's not implemented.
> Let's get *something* done, even if it's not ideal.

You are both right.
Let's make a first step with signing the database file - either gpg or
RSA/DSA framework.
Also let's maybe switch package checksumming from md5 to maybe sha512
to get a higher secure of our than signed db/checksum.

In the "ideal solution, the golden way" the database must be signed as
well. So let's start with this. We could get expierience with handling
in repo-add, pacman etc.

In a further step we could think about package signing.

Maybe we/you could implement this as a christmas gift to us users? ;-)

Regards
	Gerhard