[arch-general] Someone shoot sergej

Grigorios Bouzakis grbzks at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 19:28:50 EST 2008

Literally, someone should shoot him.
I dont know what internal TU discussions bring up so i will stick to
the facts i am aware of.
No.1: phrakture states. We have a problem with space on gerolde.
No.2: Discussion in aur-general mailing list about cleaning up community
No.3: pkgstats: Around 70% of packages in community have less than 5% usage.

What sergej does.
1) He currently maintains  more than 1/3 of community on his own.
2) He even maintains packages which are even present in extra!!!!
BTW theres been a comment that squirrelmail is in extra from voidnull
on Nov. 7th and i
flagged it out of date around 1 hour back. But its still there. In the
meantime, he had time to add
yet another package to the repo. http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=2657
Maybe he doesnt have scripts to remove packages? Just upload them?
3) The number of packages he maintains NEVER drops.
I remember he had 660 a while back now its 686. And he has added 2
packages since
yesterday evening.
4) Only 150 of them have more than 10 votes in the many years the AUR
is alive and well.
5) If you think hey votes dont mean much check usage in pkgstats:
http://www.archlinux.de/?page=PackageStatistics
6) A large number of them doesnt even exist anymore.

All that said i dont blame only Sergej for the above.
He has picked up many other peoples packages throughout the years.
Willysilly and xterminus
come to mind to name a few.
But keeping all those packages in the repo has proven to be a bad
option in the long run.
Many of those dont even belong to unsupported. Theyre crap. Especially
Willysillys.

Anyway, i know i aint a TU. Thats an excuse i ve heard before.
But to anyone even thinking of bringing it up, take a few minutes to
think about what have you
done towards the right direction since i last brought that up. IIRC it
was early 2008 or late 2007.
Check the archive if you want a debrief.

The community repository is, for the most part, a pile of shit. An
application graveyard.

PS. I wont even mention bfinch. I had raised doubts even when i wasnt
aware he maintains a custom
distro. Now that i do, well, figure the rest out yourself..

Greg