[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] request for dbus in core

Paulo Matias matias at archlinux-br.org
Sun Oct 12 18:53:15 EDT 2008

Hi,

> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> A while ago I got a request from Thomas to make a stripped down dbus
> package that does not depend on libx11 so he could use it for
> wpa_supplicant which is also in core.
> As more and more services start to interact with this dbus thing, I'd
> like to move the new dbus-core package into core. This pulls in one
> extra dependency from extra, which is expat at this moment.

Which software is interacting with wpa_supplicant using dbus? Is it
NetworkManager or something like that?

The dbus service will be let disabled by default, right?

It's worthy remembering that wpa_supplicant already supports IPC by
using UNIX domain sockets or UDP sockets, which are Linux
default/native stuff. (see [1])

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 2:49 AM, James Rayner <iphitus at iphitus.org> wrote:
> my support for [core], as an upcoming netcfg version will take
> advantage of the wpa_supplicant dbus interface.

Please avoid using dbus in netcfg. I like it because it's clean, KISS,
and uses only default/native stuff. I can help integrating with UNIX
domain sockets or UDP sockets if needed.

[1] http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/devel/wpa__ctrl_8c-source.html

Best regards,

Paulo Matias