[arch-general] System upgrade problems

Louis Brazeau lbrazeau at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 09:47:11 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I have a problem upgrading my x86_64 system. It started a couple of
days ago when my pacman -Syu reported that libxml2 could not be
fetched. I decided to wait a while and try again.

This morning I tryed again and when asked to replace gail with
extra/gtk2 I accepted. Then I got an error message :

       error: failed to prepare transaction (package filename is not valid)

I search google and the forums but didn't find anything. I tought gail
was the problem so I removed it and the packages that required it on
my system (libgnocanvas, libbonoboui, libgnomeui, etherape, gedit,
gnome-desktop, gnome-panel and xfce4-xfapplet-plugin)

Then I tried to install gtk2 and got the same error. Pacman -Syu
doesn't either :

#  pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
error: failed to prepare transaction (package filename is not valid)

What should I do ?