[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Xorg-server 1.5RC6 enters testing

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Mon Sep 1 03:07:57 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 02:18 +0200, Alessio Bolognino wrote:
> On Sun 2008-08-31 20:37, Jan de Groot wrote:
> > Xorg-server 1.5RC6 (1.4.99.906) enters tesing. This version of
> > xorg-server includes input hotplugging using hal, better EXA support and
> > less memory usage.
> > Note that this version requires an upgrade of all videodrivers.
> > All videodrivers shipped with X.Org have been rebuilt to reflect this
> > change. Nvidia drivers don't seem to need a rebuild, while AMD's
> > catalyst drivers don't support the new X.Org version. Fglrx users should
> > not upgrade to this version.
> >
> > Please give this version of X.Org an extensive test run and report bugs.
>
> OK, this is not a bug report and I have not even tested it yet, but
> reading the PKGBUILD I found that for some reason a file (
> /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libwfb.so ) is created by the scriptlets; in this
> way pacman doesn't know which package owns it. I have to admit it's a
> pretty minor annoyance, since it is removed by the post_remove function,
> but it seems to me an useless complication. Unless I'm missing
> something, you can get rid of the xorg-server.install file and put:
>
> ln -sf libwfb.so.1.4 ${pkgdir}/usr/lib/xorg/modules/libwfb.so
>
> at the end of the PKGBUILD.

The problem is that nvidia-utils mangles this file from its postinstall.
I chose to use this workaround to make sure the file points to the
correct location and things keep working. The whole rename-in-PKGBUILD,
symlink-in-scriptlet thing wasn't needed if the nvidia-utils package
would stop abusing this file.
Maybe we can think about a different solution for the near future, but
until then, this workaround works fine.