[arch-general] Outdated Wicd

Christian Babeux christian.babeux at 0x80.ca
Mon Sep 1 19:52:27 EDT 2008

Pyther wrote:
> James Rayner wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 8:26 AM, Pyther <pyther at pyther.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I have updated the wicd package build, daemon script, and install
>>> script.
>>>
>>> All the files are now in /usr /etc and /var using standard paths
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/wicd-client contains both the tray and gui elements now and
>>> /usr/lib/wicd/daemon.py is the daemon.
>>>
>>> I have included the update tar file.
>>>
>>> Hopefully Varun (the maintainer) can use this as a base for the new
>>> package.
>>> Anyone who wants the new version of wicd can also use this package.
>>> I have
>>> the pkgrel set to 0 so that when an official package comes out
>>> pacman will
>>> pick it up. This package works on my system, but of course I can not
>>> guarantee it won't blow up your system!
>>>

>> I adopted wicd after Varun dropped it, though I havn't had a chance to
>> familiarise myself with it. If any other devs want it, i'm happy to
>> pass it on.
>>
>> In the meantime, I'll look through your changes and adopt them, thanks!
>>
>> James
>>
> There is a problem with the wicd daemon script that I submitted, for
> some reason on shutdown /var/run/wicd/wicd.pid is not getting deleted,
> this is then preventing wicd from starting up.
I tried your pkgbuild Pyther. Seems to works fine on my laptop. I found
that in order to get the script button of a wifi connection working, you
need to have gksu installed. When installed, wicd asked for proper
credentials and let me through to edit the scripts. Maybe gksu should be
added to optdepends or a message can be shown post-installation ?