[arch-general] ArchLinux install CD for the blind, version 2!

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 12:33:47 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 15. März 2009 14:54:20 schrieb Chris Brannon:
>> I am proud to announce the second release of a modified ArchLinux install
>> CD that includes spoken output for blind users.
>> It is mostly equivalent to the official "ftp CD", but
>> the system should start speaking as soon as you boot with it.
>> Speech is provided via the sound card, using the eSpeak software
>> synthesizer and the Speakup screenreader.
>
> This sounds realy nice. Is there some way to make it kind of optional so it
> might be included in a future archiso image? Or does it take a lot of disk/CD
> space?

Late reply - but the biggest issue here is that we either add speech
by default and allow someone to turn it off, or give mystic commands
to blind users (wait for it to boot, hit down and enter to select the
second menu item and use speech) because grub doesn't talk... I can't
figure out a way to integrate them both cleanly...