[arch-general] Sick of xf86-video-intel? Use the framebuffer device!

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Wed Apr 1 19:49:21 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I am a proud user of an Intel 855GM chipset. Some time ago when the i810
xorg dirver was replaced by the xf86-viedo-intel performance were
decreased from version to version and in the end it was unusable due to
too many bugs an problems.

* support for tv-out was dropped (ok, not that important for me)
* xv does not work. You either get a green or blue square or your whole X
crashes.
* all kinds of false rendering
* extremly slow 2D performance. Even with UXA I can watch the single
elements redrwaing if I switch tabs in konqueror for example
* too slow to watch videos on youtube or even a DVD
* overall instability
* suspend/resume is just a matter of luck

When I was just seeing garbage on my screen (=unusable) with the new
2.6.29 kernel I started looking for alternatives:

* xorg vesa driver: faster than intel and stable; bu still performance was
not that great (of course, there is no hw acceleration)
* vesafb+fbdev: similar performance; fast switching to vc and back is nice
:-)

Finally I got intelfb working. Togehter with the xorg fbdev driver this
seems to solve all my problems. It is really fast and stable.
Suspend/Resume works fine and as a bonus I get fast vc switching (who
needs kms for this? ;) Well, there is no support for xv, but I can watch
DVDs with x11 output driver without issues. Using mplayer with fbdev
output it is even possible to watch 720p videos.

The problem is: you have to compile your own kernel. The stock kernel
provides the intelfb module but you cannot use it because vesafb is
compiled in. I did not find a way to work around this. As soon as you
start the kernel with a vga=XXX parameter vesafb gets loaded and other fb
drivers cannot work.

So, here is a patch and a precompiled kernel for those who want to try it:
http://users.archlinux.de/~pierre/packages/src/intelfb.patch
http://users.archlinux.de/~pierre/packages/i686/kernel26-intelfb-2.6.29-4-
i686.pkg.tar.gz

It is also possible to build intelfb as a module; just add intel_agp and
intelfb to your modules list in mkinitcpio.conf.

I hope this is helpful for some of you,

Pierre

--

Pierre Schmitz