[arch-general] PKGBUILD: mkdir or install?

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Mon Apr 6 09:29:25 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 15:25 +0200, Ali H. Caliskan wrote:
> Hello fellow Arch Linux devels and users,
>
> I'm wondering if it's inappropriate to use "mkdir -p" in PKGBUILD instead of
> "install". I've seen quite many official PKGBUILDs that use mkdir instead of
> install, whose very structure I've adopted and applied in my various
> PKBUILDs. Does it matter if it's mkdir or install, and why?
>
> Kind regards,
> Ali

Usually it doesn't matter, but I prefer to use install -d instead of
mkdir. Some users like to have umask set to something completely
non-default, which breaks permissions with mkdir -p. With install -m755
-d I can specifiy the correct permissions explicit instead of hoping the
user doesn't have umask set.