[arch-general] Bug reports for out of date packages?

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 11:16:50 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 7:02 PM, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/4/6  <hollunder at gmx.at>:
>> On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 00:37:14 +0200
>> Ondřej Kučera <ondrej.kucera at centrum.cz> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Arch's packages usually (almost always) get updated pretty fast and
>>> the system "don't create a bug report, just flag the package out of
>>> date to get dev's/TU's attention" works fine. But sometimes there
>>> exist packages both in community and in extra (I'm not sure about
>>> core but maybe even there) that don't get updated even after a
>>> significant time from the upstream's release (e. g. swt, amarok, jre
>>> or jdk from the nearest past). Shouldn't there be a time limit (two
>>> weeks? a month?) after which it would be OK to create a bug report?
>>> That way there could be a discussion about why that package
>>> hasn't/couldn't be updated and everyone would know where to look for
>>> the reasons without having to go through mailing list archives, bbs
>>> and so on.
>>>
>>> Just a thought though.
>>>
>>> Ondřej
>>>

>> I wondered about that as well.
>> For example jack-audio-connection-kit, qjackctl and ardour, all in
>> extra, have been out of date at least since I joined arch, and I
>> believe this was around October/November. Mailing the maintainer didn't
>> help.
>>
>> Philipp
>>
> Send a mail to the mailing list if the maintainer doesn't respond
> (preferably attach the PKGBUILD you updated)

This is probably the best way - send an updated PKGBUILD that you've
personally tested and you know works fine. This is generally how I've
been doing gnucash anymore, as I stopped using it, but I get regular
updates from people who like the package and test it

If you're looking for "multiple maintainers", this is probably the
best way, even if it is informal