[arch-general] Keyboard repeat in KDE

Keith grndrush at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 22:44:43 EDT 2009

Leonid wrote:

Hi,

I know I sent this before, but this is a new version of KDE and the problem is becoming really bad. Every once in a while, keyboard repeat will suddenly be unset. I can fix it in systemsettings, only to have it get unset again randomly. Sometimes it will only take a few minutes, sometimes hours. It is very very annoying. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

I am running 4.2.2 (not kdemod, vanilla).
<<

+1.

It appeared to hit me immediately after either the upgrade to KDE 4.2.2
(or, more likely, I think, the upgrade to xorg-server 1.5.3-5 at 1 AM 4/6).

I appear to be having the same problem, and after the same upgrade - to
KDE 4.2.2 (not KDEMOD) and xorg-server in extra. Also, my mouse
"third-button-wheel" will stop scrolling in a web page, for no reason.
It happens so often I'm avoiding using the function - and this effect
also seems to be tied to the same time frame.

Note also that, in the course of modifying parts of /etc/X11/xorg.conf
to get to a usable desktop after this upgrade, I had to (a) remove all
my "InputDevice" Sections for a keyboard and two mice (which implicitly
sets several possible-gremlin options), and then (b) make a NUMBER of
mods, trying to get xorg running stably with a "clean" an Xorg.log.0 as
possible.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to turn the clues it throws me
into a usable conf, but with documentation so blatantly at odds with
reality, in at least a couple of interesting places, that's hard. Try
'Option "Accel"' in the Screen Section ('man Xorg', or 'man xorg.conf').
The Xorg (or xorg.conf) man page documents it beautifully; hopefully
some day it'll actually OPERATE as documented.

This weekend I intend to exercise every known method of automagically
generating an xorg.conf for an AMD64-based Arch Linux system, and see if
I can either find what I'm missing (in one of them), or manage to get
some combination of the suggestions (of all of them) to work.

I realise both documentation and KNOWLEDGE are in short supply with the
imminent release of xorg-server 1.6, and that it's not supposedly going
to be an "easy" or "simple" "migration." I see this as mental prep work...

Blue Skies...g