[arch-general] Surviving without X

Charly Ghislain charlyghislain at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 21:52:11 EDT 2009

A good font for unicode is terminal. Ive tried no x on an old box few
years ago. Directfb was interesting, but not really useful by then.
Their homepage contains many interesting projects, like a graphical
and eye-candy login manager.

I rather used the basic fbdev. Sdl can output to it, thats really
handy. Gpmouse, if i remember well, can provide mouse support in
vconsoles. Using some drivers, links can be a good basic browser - no
net banking though. Mplayer for video. Moc, mpd or another curses mp3
player for audio. By the time i had to play around to have lines
character working in a unicode console with ncurses.  There are
console tools to convert office docs to pdf, via postscript i guess,
but recent format might not be supported.
I had almost everything needed for basic use, and that was running
pretty fast on this old comp. Besides, showing a video played through
aalib always impress people (supported by sdl too i think).

Im sorry there are lot of uncertitudes and no links, but im using a
cell phone from thailand - really cheap compared to belgium costs.

Good luck, good fun,

charly

--
Envoyé avec mon mobile